Hounds throwing-off [graphic] / B. [compass pointing to the north] Esqr. del. ; Js. Gy. fect.
- Hounds throwing-off [graphic] / B. [compass pointing to the north] Esqr. del. ; Js. Gy. fect.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1800 April 8
- Copyright Date
- [8 April 1800]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "Three riders are being violently thrown off their horses, in grotesque attitudes, by the hounds who have caused two horses to fall and the third to rear."--British Museum online catalogue.
One of a set of four plates on huntsmens' skills.
Signed by Brownlow North using an artist's device: compass pointing to the north.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching, soft ground etching & aquatint on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 24.9 x 35.0 cm, on sheet 29 x 39 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 10
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1800.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
North, Brownlow, 1778-1829, artist.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9589, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 490, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 272
- Orbis Record