Coming-in at the death [graphic] / B. [compass pointing to the north] Esqr. del. ; Js. Gy. fect.
- Coming-in at the death [graphic] / B. [compass pointing to the north] Esqr. del. ; Js. Gy. fect.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1800 April 8
- Copyright Date
- [8 April 1800]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "A rider flings his arms above his head in terror as his horse plunges head first into a deep pool, making a gigantic splash. A horse immediately behind him (left) rears, and its rider also throws up his arms terror-struck. On the farther side of the water (right), and in the background, a huntsman stands holding out the fox by the tail to the hounds."--British Museum online catalogue.
One of a set of four plates on huntmen's skills.
Signed by Brownlow North using an artist's device: compass pointing to the north.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : aquatint, etching & soft ground etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 24.9 x 35.0 cm, on sheet 31 x 44 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 10
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1800.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
North, Brownlow, 1778-1829, artist.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9591, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 491, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 272
- Orbis Record