The comforts of a Rumford stove [graphic] / Js. Gillray des. & fect. ad vivum.
- The comforts of a Rumford stove [graphic] / Js. Gillray des. & fect. ad vivum.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1800 June 12
- Copyright Date
- [12 June 1800]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "Count Rumford stands in profile to the right, smiling; he pulls aside his coat-tails to warm his back at the fire. The fire-place has a small rectangular aperture, set low, the grate triangular in shape and resembling a modern fire-place. His shadow falls vertically across the fire (which emits much black smoke) and resembles a cloud of smoke. On the small high chimney-piece are a coffee-pot with a wide base and long handle, and a round cooking-pot. He grins with satisfaction, his profile is drink-blotched, and he wears (inconspicuously) a parti-coloured ribbon. His boots are of the fashionable Hessian pattern. A carpet and bare panelled walls complete the design."--British Museum online catalogue.
Text following title: Vide Dr. D-rn-ts lectures.
Title etched at top of image.
- 1 print : etching with stipple on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 25.2 x 20.3 cm, on sheet 27.8 x 22.2 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 10
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9565, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 459, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 271
- Orbis Record