Marking game [graphic] / I.C. Esqr. delt. ; Js. Gy. fect.
- Marking game [graphic] / I.C. Esqr. delt. ; Js. Gy. fect.
- Alternative Title
- Cockney-sportsmen ; plate 1st and Cockney-sportsmen marking game
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1800 November 12
- Copyright Date
- [12 November 1800]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "One of a set of four with the same signatures and imprint; the same two 'cits' are depicted throughout, one rather thin and fashionably dressed, wearing Hessian boots with pointed toes, and a cartouche-box which denotes the volunteer; the other is older, a fat John Bull in top-boots. The former has a poodle fantastically clipped, the latter a bulldog. The landscape probably gives a good idea of the NE. surroundings of London. The younger man advances on tiptoe towards the carcass of a horse beset by many crows: he holds his gun reversed, and it goes off peppering the posteriors of his friend who is being overturned by his dog while crossing a stile. An old sign-post points (left) 'To Hornsey Wood'; on it is a bill: 'Ball. . Powder & Shot'. The surroundings are rural, but on the extreme right is the dome of St. Paul's."--British Museum online catalogue.
First of four prints in a series entitled: Cockney-sportsmen.
Title etched below image, following series title.
- 1 print : etching with aquatint on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 25.4 x 35.8 cm, on sheet 28.1 x 38.9 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 10
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 9596, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 492, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 272
- Orbis Record