"Every rogue is a coward" [graphic] / B. [compass pointing north] Esqr. del. ; P.F.L.B. fect.
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > "Every rogue is a coward" [graphic] / B. [compass pointing north] Esqr. del. ; P.F.L.B. fect.
- "Every rogue is a coward" [graphic] / B. [compass pointing north] Esqr. del. ; P.F.L.B. fect.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
North, Brownlow, 1778-1829, artist.
- Published / Created
- 1801 June 6
- Copyright Date
- [6 June 1801]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
"Two terrified riders meet face to face on Hounslow Heath; each takes the other for a highwayman. One (left) losing his stirrups holds out his purse, saying, "Here is my Money! Spare my Life". The other dropping his whip, puts his hand in his waistcoat pocket, saying: "Ah! - don't Fire! - I'll give all". Both have dropped their reins. A signpost (left) points 'To Hounslow'."--British Museum online catalogue.
Print signed using Brownlow North's device: A compass pointing north.
Printmaker identified as Gillray in the British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching with engraving on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 25.9 x 36.2 cm, on sheet 28 x 39 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 10
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 9768
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)