"Be gone dull care, I pri'thee begone from me! [graphic] / P.F.L.B. fect.
- "Be gone dull care, I pri'thee begone from me! [graphic] / P.F.L.B. fect.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker. http://id.loc.gov/authorities/names/n50033402
- Published / Created
- 1801 November 18
- Copyright Date
- [16 June 1801]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "An imitation of BMSat 8913, by Woodward. A fat parson sits drinking beside a small round table. His face is fiery and carbuncled. He wears gown and bands, with unbuttoned waistcoast, and ungartered stocking; his wig is back to front. Opposite him, on a round stool sits Care, a naked man, grotesque, aged, emaciated, with a scraggy beard and long grey hair, and talons on hands and feet; he registers gloomy terror. The parson, with a contemptuous smile, snaps his fingers at Care. On the table are decanter, pipe, tobacco-box, and lemon. On the wall (left) is a 'List of the Tythes for the Parish of Guttledown'. A patterned carpet completes the design. An illustration of the song (illustrated also by R. Cruikshank in 'The Universal Songster', ii, 1826, p. 129)."--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker identified as Gillray in the British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching with engraving on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 26.2 x 33 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 10
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 9769, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 487, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 281
- Orbis Record