Fat-cattle [graphic] / Js. Gillray invt. & ft.
- Fat-cattle [graphic] / Js. Gillray invt. & ft.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1802 January 16
- Copyright Date
- [16 January 1802]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "The Duke of Bedford stands in a stockyard in profile to the left, the fingers of his right hand dug into the flank of an immensely fat ox. He is not caricatured and is plainly dressed, wearing a round hat and heavy top-boots, holding a stock-whip. He says: "Ah, here's your sort! - here's your Nine-Inch Fat my boys! "O how he will cut up! (as my old friend Burke said!) - "how he will Tallow in the cawl and on the Kidneys!" Behind are three corn-stacks, trees, two other oxen, some very fat sheep (right). In the foreground are geese (left), and a pig (right) eating from a heap of carrots and turnips."--British Museum online catalogue.
One line of text spanning both sides of title: To the Society for Improving the Breed this sketch of Tavistock Farmyard is dedicated.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching & soft-ground etching with stipple on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 36.5 x 26.2 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 10
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1802.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Bedford, Francis Russell,--Duke of,--1765-1802--Caricatures and cartoons.
Gillray, James, 1756-1815, artist.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 9912, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 503, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 290
- Orbis Record