The Pic-Nic orchestra [graphic] / Js. Gillray inv. & ft.
- The Pic-Nic orchestra [graphic] / Js. Gillray inv. & ft.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1802 April 23
- Copyright Date
- [23 April 1802]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "Musicians are grouped round the almost spherical Lady Buckinghamshire, who sits at the piano in profile to the right, playing and singing. In back view and on the extreme right sits Colonel Greville, playing a fiddle; from his coat pocket hangs a paper: 'Pic Nic Concert - Imitations - Nightingale by Lord C. - Tom Tit Lord ME. - Jack daw Genl G. Screech Owl Lady B. - Poll Parrot...' On the left is Lord Mount Edgcumbe, very small, playing a 'cello, in profile. Behind him, full face, towers Lord Cholmondeley putting a flute below tightly closed lips. Seated on the pianist's left is Lady Salisbury, blowing a French horn. On the extreme right opposite Greville is a lady's arm holding out a trumpet. See BMSat 9916, &c, and, for the 'musical mania' of the period, BMSat 9938, &c."--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching & stipple engraving on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 25.6 x 35.8 cm, on sheet 29.8 x 41.1 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 10
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1802.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Buckinghamshire, Albinia Hobart,--Countess of,--1738-1816--Caricatures and cartoons.
Cecil, Mary Amelia,--Marchioness of Salisbury,--1750-1835--Caricatures and cartoons.
Cholmondeley, George James Cholmondeley,--Marquess of,--1749-1827--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Mount Edgcumbe, Richard Edgcumbe,--Earl of,--1764-1839--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 9921, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 517, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 288
- Orbis Record