"Going to London through "Epping Forest" [graphic] / B. [compass pointing north] Esqr. inv. & del.
- "Going to London through "Epping Forest" [graphic] / B. [compass pointing north] Esqr. inv. & del.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1802 August 3
- Copyright Date
- [3 August 1802]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "An ugly middle-aged woman, wearing a calash hood (cf. BMSat 5434) over a cap, picks up her petticoats to step over or through a bush shaped like a forest tree, but spotted with red fruit. She grins and clutches in her right hand a paper inscribed 'Wonderful Aeronauts'. She is walking towards a garden latrine (left). Two concentric circles of greenery surround the bush. There is a landscape background."--British Museum online catalogue.
Print signed using Brownlow North's device: A compass pointing north.
Printmaker identified as Gillray in the British Museum catalogue.
Title etched above image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper ; plate mark 25.7 x 20.6 cm, on sheet 30.4 x 22.4 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 10
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 9934
- Orbis Record