An illustrious character [graphic] / Js. Gillray delt. & fect. ad viv.
- An illustrious character [graphic] / Js. Gillray delt. & fect. ad viv.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1802 November 1
- Copyright Date
- [1 November 1802]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "A bust portrait of the Duke of Clarence in profile to the left. He wears powdered hair with small tail, a cylindrical hat, high stock with a shirt-frill. He is caricatured, with heavy jowl, protruding lips, and small slanting eye: the manner, that of realistic, even suave, portraiture, makes the caricature more cruel."--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching & aquatint on wove paper, hand-colored ; oval image 17.8 x 14.1 cm, on plate 25.6 x 20.3 cm, on sheet 33.3 x 23.6 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 10
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1802.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
William--IV,--King of Great Britain,--1765-1837--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 9910 and Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 478
- Orbis Record