"The inexpressible air of dignity, the incomprehensible je-ne-scais-quoi of elegance ... [graphic] / Js. Gillray inv. & ft.
- "The inexpressible air of dignity, the incomprehensible je-ne-scais-quoi of elegance ... [graphic] / Js. Gillray inv. & ft.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1803 March 9
- Copyright Date
- [9 March 1803]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "The Marquis of Blandford walks in profile to the left. on a flagged pavement. He is stiffly erect, a cane held horizontally in his right. hand, his left. arm hanging vertically. He has sloping shoulders and long arms, and wears a double-breasted tail-coat with a high collar and modified Jean-de-Bry sleeve (see BMSat 9425) with Hessian boots."--British Museum online catalogue.
Title continues: ... "which appertains solely to men of high fashion." Vide Lord Chesterfields Letters.
Title from first line of quoted text below image.
- 1 print : etching & stipple engraving with roulette on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 25.3 x 19.3 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1803.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Marlborough, George Spencer Churchill,--Duke of,--1766-1840--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 10158, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 237, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 308
- Orbis Record