Germans eating sour-krout [graphic] / Js. Gillray inv. & fect.
- Germans eating sour-krout [graphic] / Js. Gillray inv. & fect.
- Alternative Title
- Germans eating sauerkraut
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1803 May 7
- Copyright Date
- [7 May 1803]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "Five Germans seated at a round table, gormandize savagely on cabbage and sausages. Three are grossly fat and coarse-featured and plebeian; one of these (r.) has tucked the table-cloth round his neck (cf. BMSat 8145). A lean military officer sits in back view plying spoon and fork with elbows raised; a lean dog laps from his plate, one paw on his knee the other on the table. Cocked hat and sword are on the ground beside him. A thin and elderly man of more polished appearance puts down his head to the mound of greenery on his plate, which he shovels up with spoon and fork; his knife lies on the table-cloth. His hat and gold-headed cane are under his stool. A fat cook enters (l.) carrying a large steaming dish piled high with sauerkraut and sausages. On the table are a 'Vinegar' bottle and fragments from over-full plates. On the wall are a map of 'The Mouths of the Rhine', showing the 'German Ocean'; an oval bust portrait of 'Arch-Duke Charles' [see BMSat 8835], with a gross profile resembling that given by Gillray to the Duke of Clarence; a picture of a row of pigs whose heads emerge from sties to feed in a trough. On the floor are large tankards, a broken pipe, a pile of used plates which a cat is licking, a 'Bill of Fare - 1st Course Sour Krout - 2d Course Sour Krout - 3d Course Sour Krout - Desert Sour Krout.' Tankards and plates are inscribed 'Weyler Castle Street.'"--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 26.1 x 36.2 cm, on sheet 27 x 40 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1803.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Charles,--Archduke of Austria,--1771-1847--Caricatures and cartoons.
Gillray, James, 1756-1815, artist.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 10170, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 518, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 307
- Orbis Record