A great man on the turf, or, Sir Solomon in all his glory [graphic] / Js. Gillray del. & ft.
- A great man on the turf, or, Sir Solomon in all his glory [graphic] / Js. Gillray del. & ft.
- Alternative Title
- Sir Solomon in all his glory
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1803 July 7
- Copyright Date
- [7 July 1803]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "The Duke of Bedford [Identified in the House of Lords Gillray Collection as Mr Norton.] stands directed to the right., his head in profile, on a mound watching a race. He wears riding-dress with spurred top-boots and holds a riding-switch. Three horses race in the background; the contours of the ground, and the horizon, are fringed with crowds of tiny cheering figures; some follow the race on foot or horseback. Clouds complete the design."--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching with aquatint on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 35.9 x 25.4 cm, on sheet 47.1 x 33.8 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 10164, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 524, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 308
- Orbis Record