A hint to young officers [graphic] : vide Edinborg [sic] chronicle 1804.
- A hint to young officers [graphic] : vide Edinborg [sic] chronicle 1804.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1804 July 7
- Copyright Date
- [9 July 1804]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "Lord Moira, a candle in each hand, stands in the doorway of his house. He wears a dressing-gown in place of a coat He has opened the door to a young officer, who steps forward unsteadily raising his cocked hat. An ugly watchman (l.) in Highland dress trudges to the left. holding his staff and lantern; he is the only figure who is caricatured. The architrave is surmounted by an earl's coronet. The dignified doorway is set in a wall of heavy stones and flanked by two windows high above the cobbled street."--British Museum online catalogue.
Fifteen lines of verse in two columns below title: When loud the watchman cry'd the hour and call'd 'till he was hoarse ... Parody upon [the] Red Cross Knight.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching & aquatint on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 37.7 x 25.5 cm, on sheet 43 x 29.5 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1804.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Hastings, Francis Rawdon-Hastings,--Marquess of,--1754-1826--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 10297, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 527, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 313
- Orbis Record