Company shocked at a lady getting up to ring the bell [graphic] / B. [compass pointing north] Esqr. del.
- Company shocked at a lady getting up to ring the bell [graphic] / B. [compass pointing north] Esqr. del.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1804 November 20
- Copyright Date
- [20 November 1804]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "A violent disturbance in a luxuriously furnished breakfast parlour. The only lady present has risen from her chair to pull a bell-pull. The frantic efforts of five elderly men to stop her have produced a sequence of disasters. An urn overturns and pours boiling water on a fat man who puts a large lump of food speared on his fork into his eye. A man behind him, rushing to seize the bell-rope, spears the former's wig with his knife. Crockery cascades to the floor, the contents of a tea-pot falling on a dog, who bites the knee of a man in regimentals; he leans forward, planting his toe on the gouty foot of a man behind. The latter, about to fall, grasps the officer's pigtail, flourishing a knife, his mouth choked with food. A fifth man stands behind the table with raised hands and shrugged shoulders. The fare is boiled eggs, bread, and muffins. Over the chimney-piece is a picture of a fat Cupid firing his bow; his quiver is reversed, and one leg is transfixed with an arrow. The walls of the room are ornamented by gilt pilasters in the shape of palm-trees (as in BMSat 10472). Between them are empty candle-sconces decorated with palm-branches. The men appear to be the suitors of a rich widow. Cf. BMSat 9822."--British Museum online catalogue.
Print signed using Brownlow North's device: A compass pointing north.
Printmaker from Wright.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 25.2 x 37.9 cm, on sheet 28 x 42 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 10303, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 529, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 313
- Orbis Record