An old maid on a journey [graphic] / B. [compass pointing north] Esqr. del.
- An old maid on a journey [graphic] / B. [compass pointing north] Esqr. del.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1804 November 20
- Copyright Date
- [20 November 1804]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "A procession from the open door of an inn (r.) towards the room destined for the traveller, a fat, ugly, elderly woman with a twisted, appraising profile, holding up a fan in her right. hand, from the little finger of which dangles a parasol; tucked under her left. arm is a lap-dog. She wears a riding habit; over her straw hat is a hood or scarf. After her shambles a lean elderly man, much caricatured, carrying an embroidery frame, bag, and box. Behind him is a man holding up a caged bird, to which he whistles grotesquely, while a cat ensconced in an alcove grabs at the cage. An immensely fat woman, holding a 'Bill of Fare', stands against the wall, watching the visitor. The fat host (l.), napkin in hand, ushers her towards the room, with pointing thumb; it is called 'the Ram', the adjacent door is placarded 'the Union'. Bell-wire meanders over the wall connected with bells belonging to the two rooms; both are jangling. Through the door is seen the sign of the inn: a cock on a pair of breeches."--British Museum online catalogue.
Print signed using Brownlow North's device: A compass pointing north.
Printmaker identified as Gillray in the British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 25.6 x 38.3 cm, on sheet 28.4 x 41.2 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1804.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Banks, Sarah Sophia,--1744-1818--Caricatures and cartoons.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
North, Brownlow, 1778-1829, artist.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 10300, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 530, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 313
- Orbis Record