Palemon and Lavinia [graphic] / J.C. Esqe. delt.
- Palemon and Lavinia [graphic] / J.C. Esqe. delt.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1805 January 23
- Copyright Date
- [23 January 1805]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "A loutish yokel (l.), holding a pitchfork, grins avidly at a hideous and elderly country woman who crouches behind a stile (r.), her features twisted in a sly grimace. In the background (l.) men reap a corn-field, and corn-stooks cover a more distant hill. Lavinia is framed in foliage, with autumn leaves and a withered tree."--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
Two lines of quoted text following title: "He saw her charming; but he saw not half" "the charms her downcast modesty conceal'd."
- 1 print : etching & aquatint on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 25.5 x 35.7 cm, on sheet 30 x 40 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1805.
Watermarks (Paper)--J. Whatman Turkey Mills.--CtY-BR
Watermarks (Paper)--J. Whatman--CtY-LW
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 10480 and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 325
- Orbis Record