Harmony before matrimony [graphic] / Js. Gillray des. & ft.
- Harmony before matrimony [graphic] / Js. Gillray des. & ft.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1805 October 25
- Copyright Date
- [25 October 1805]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "A pretty young woman and a fashionably dressed man sing together seated on upright chairs. She (r.) plays the harp, her head thrown back to look over her shoulder at the music-book which he holds open: 'Duets de l'Amour'. On a round table which supports his elbow as he leans towards her is an open book: 'Ovid' [Art of Love]. She wears clinging draperies. Two cats gambol amorously on music-books on the ground. The elaborate décor of the room stresses the subject of the design. A large wall mirror (l.) hangs above a marble console which is supported on winged heads; a butterfly flies towards its own reflection. Chinese vases containing roses (twin flowers) flank a bowl in which gold-fish swim to meet each other. One vase only is fully visible; it is a scene of courtship. Below the console a heart-shaped vase, decorated with a Sphinx, stands on the floor. An oval picture elaborately framed hangs above the heads of the lovers: a Cupid fires a blunderbuss at two doves billing on a dove-cot. This is flanked by carvings of flowers with (l.) crossed torches (of Hymen) and (r.) the bow and arrows of Cupid. In the foreground (r.) is one corner of a console table supported by a grinning satyr with a cloven hoof; on it is a myrtle plant in an ornamental pot. The luxury of the room is shown by an arcaded wall with pilaster reflected in the mirror, and by a palm-tree pilaster (as in BMSat 10303)."--British Museum online catalogue.
Companion print to: "Matrimonial-harmonics."
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching with stipple on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 26.2 x 36.2 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 10472, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 538, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 325
- Orbis Record