Attitude! Attitude is every thing! [graphic].
- Attitude! Attitude is every thing! [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Elements of skateing, Elements of skateing :, and Elements of skating :
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1805 November 24
- Copyright Date
- [24 November 1805]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "Two skaters strike attitudes in the foreground. One (l.), with hands on hips, describes a curve on the outside edge of the left. foot, the r. foot being held out stiffly. He looks aggressively towards the other, a younger man who bends his knees, arms extended, and grins at his rival. The former wears a spencer over a short coat, the latter a tail coat; both wear Hessian boots, but those of the latter, who is more fashionably dressed, reach to the knee and are tasselled. Both hold sticks. In the background (r.) a pair of men with folded arms skate back to back in doing a figure of eight; a third skates forward fast with hands on hips. The scene is a lake in a snow-covered landscape."--British Museum online catalogue.
One of four prints in a series entitled: Elements of skateing.
Printmaker identified as Gillray and artist questionably identified as Sneyd in the British Museum catalogue.
Sheet trimmed to plate mark leaving thread margins.
Title etched below image, following series title.
- 1 print : etching with aquatint, hand-colored ; plate mark 24.7 x 35.6 cm, on sheet 25 x 36 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 10474, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 540, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 326
- Orbis Record