A fundamental error in the art of skaiting [graphic].
- A fundamental error in the art of skaiting [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Elements of skateing, Elements of skateing :, Elements of skating :, and Fundamental error in the art of skating
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1805 November 24
- Copyright Date
- [24 November 1805]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "One man falls violently, arms and legs in the air; he brings the ferrule of his stick heavily down on the eye of a neighbour who has just landed on his posterior, his legs and arms extended. In the background three other skaters have fallen, and lie or sit, legs in the air."--British Museum online catalogue.
One of four prints in a series entitled: Elements of skateing.
Printmaker identified as Gillray and artist questionably identified as Sneyd in the British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image, following series title.
- 1 print : etching with aquatint on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 25.3 x 35.7 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 10476, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 542, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 326
- Orbis Record