The consequence of going before the wind [graphic].
- The consequence of going before the wind [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Elements of skateing, Elements of skateing :, and Elements of skating :
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1805 November 24
- Copyright Date
- [24 November 1805]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "An elderly man, holding his umbrella in front of him to form a sail, cannonades into another skater, who falls, the apex of the umbrella entering his mouth, while his foot strikes the stomach of the aggressor. The ice cracks beneath them. The latter wears wrinkled ankle-boots; the victim resembles the more fashionable skater of BMSat 10474. In the background a boy with a basket laughs at the collision; near him a man falls forward, his umbrella and hat torn from him by a gust, whose strength is indicated by a wind-swept tree (r.)."--British Museum online catalogue.
One of four prints in a series entitled: Elements of skateing.
Printmaker identified as Gillray and artist questionably identified as Sneyd in the British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image, following series title.
- 1 print : etching with aquatint on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 25.1 x 35.7 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 10475, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 541, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 326
- Orbis Record