Expulsion waits that son of alma mater, who dares to shew his face in boot or gaiter [graphic].
- Expulsion waits that son of alma mater, who dares to shew his face in boot or gaiter [graphic].
- Alternative Title
- Rake's progress at the university ; no. 4 and Rake's progress at the university.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1806 October 22
- Copyright Date
- [22 October 1806]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "The undergraduate advances dejectedly, raising his cap to a Fellow wearing cap and gown and gaiters, who walks with another wearin clerical wig and bands with a cocked hat, long coat to the ankles, and gold headed cane. The former points angrily at the gaiters which the undergraduate (like himself) is wearing. The scene is the side of a College Court showing an edge of grass in the foreground."--British Museum online catalogue.
Fourth of five prints in a series entitled: The rake's progress at the university.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Title from text within curly brackets below image, following series title.
- 1 print : etching with aquatint on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 25.2 x 35.3 cm, on sheet 31 x 45 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 10642, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 548, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 343
- Orbis Record