Convened for wearing gaiters, sad offence! Expelled, nor e'en permitted a defence [graphic].
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Convened for wearing gaiters, sad offence! Expelled, nor e'en permitted a defence [graphic].
- Convened for wearing gaiters, sad offence! Expelled, nor e'en permitted a defence [graphic].
- Alternative Title
Rake's progress at the university ; no. 5
Rake's progress at the university.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
- Published / Created
- 1806 October 22
- Copyright Date
- [22 October 1806]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
"The undergraduate, cap in hand, stands with bent head facing a table at the opposite end of which stands the Master, obese, drink-blotched, and angry, delivering sentence. Six Fellows stand at the table, three a side, all glaring at the culprit, and much caricatured. A gaiter lies on the table. At the door, and immediately behind the undergraduate, stands a college servant, his hand on the door-handle, holding a long wand (like that held by the butler of Trinity College, Cambridge, in BMSat 7017). The room is bare with a panelled wall, the only furniture the table and a carved armchair behind the Master."--British Museum online catalogue.
Fifth of five prints in a series entitled: The rake's progress at the university.
Printmaker from British Museum catalogue.
Title from text within curly brackets below image, following series title.
- 1 print : etching with aquatint on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 25.1 x 35.3 cm, on sheet 31 x 45 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 10643
Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 549
Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 343
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)