Windy weather [graphic] / etch'd by Js. Gillray.
- Windy weather [graphic] / etch'd by Js. Gillray.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1808 February 10
- Copyright Date
- [10 February 1808]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "A thin, sharp-featured man walks in the teeth of the wind, holding on his hat, and with his left hand in his breeches pocket. His hat-brim, hair, cravat, coat, the tail of his shirt, the strings of his breeches and shoes, all fly backwards. He walks (right to left) up a rough sandy road edged by windswept bushes. A milestone is inscribed 'To Hampstead Hill'. On the horizon (right) is St. Paul's, dominating the spires of London, and backed by dense cloud."--British Museum online catalogue.
One of a set of seven weather-themed prints with the same signature and imprint, all etched by Gillray from drawings by Sneyd. See British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching with stipple on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 24.3 x 19.0 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 11099, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 558, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 360
- Orbis Record