Dreadful-hot-weather [graphic] / etch'd by Js. Gillray.
- Dreadful-hot-weather [graphic] / etch'd by Js. Gillray.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1808 February 10
- Copyright Date
- [10 February 1808]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "A fat 'cit' halts on the road beside a milestone on which he has hung his hat, to mop his dripping forehead. In his left hand is his wig. His waistcoat is unbuttoned. Against the stone, inscribed 'One Mile from..', leans his gold-headed cane. He stands on a sandy hill, the focus of rays striking almost vertically down, and is beset by flies. Though only fields are visible culminating in a mound on which stands a windmill, he is evidently on his way to a Sunday Ordinary close to London, a favourite theme, cf. BMSat 8405."--British Museum online catalogue.
One of a set of seven weather-themed prints with the same signature and imprint, all etched by Gillray from drawings by Sneyd. See British Museum catalogue.
Temporary local subject terms: Seasons: Summer.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching with stipple on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 26.3 x 21.5 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 11095, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 554, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 360
- Orbis Record