Sad sloppy weather [graphic] / etch'd by Js. Gillray.
- Sad sloppy weather [graphic] / etch'd by Js. Gillray.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1808 February 10
- Copyright Date
- [10 February 1808]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "A stout, elderly, well-dressed man walks along a pavement past a ramshackle hovel, holding, reversed, a closed umbrella, which he uses as a walking-stick. He steps on a stone which tilts, splashing his white stockings with filth. From a rotten pipe which runs down the adjacent building a black flood drips and streams across the pavement. From an (invisible) upper window hang ragged garments, dripping down the wall. Broken crockery and refuse lie against the edge of the pavement."--British Museum online catalogue.
One of a set of seven weather-themed prints with the same signature and imprint, all etched by Gillray from drawings by Sneyd. See British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching with stipple on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 24.8 x 19.9 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1808.
Watermarks (Paper)--J. Whatman.--CtY-BR
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
- Subject (Topic)
City & town life.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 11096, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 555, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 360
- Orbis Record