Maecenas, in pursuit of the fine-arts [graphic] : scene, Pall Mall; a frosty-morning / Js. Gillray ad vivam fect.
- Maecenas, in pursuit of the fine-arts [graphic] : scene, Pall Mall; a frosty-morning / Js. Gillray ad vivam fect.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1808 May 9
- Copyright Date
- [9 May 1808]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "A man walks along the pavement in profile to the left., stooping from the waist but with head erect. He wears spectacles and carries a stick. He approaches the door (left) of Christies, which is partly visible. On the pillar hangs the usual catalogue: 'Catalogue of 800 Capital Pictures to be Sold by Mr Christie in Pall Mall. Feby 1st 1808'. The wall of the house (No. 125) with a window forms the background. Snow is heaped against the railings, where there is a shovel and broom."--British Museum online catalogue.
- Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 25.8 x 19.8 cm, on sheet 29 x 23 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1808.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Sutherland, George Granville Leveson-Gower,--Duke of,--1758-1833--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 11076, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 560, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 360
- Orbis Record