Orange Jumper [graphic] / etch'd by J. Gillray.
- Orange Jumper [graphic] / etch'd by J. Gillray.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1809 March 6
- Copyright Date
- [6 March 1809]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "An elderly man stands in profile to the right outside a building on which are election placards, holding out his (orange-coloured) hat in which is a favour and a ticket inscribed Milton. He is curiously square, round-shouldered, long-waisted, and bandy-legged, wearing riding-dress with spurred top-boots, and a coat reaching nearly to his heels, with a fox embroidered on the collar. On the wall which forms a background is a placard: State of the Poll. Wilberforce 11808, Milton 11.177, Lascelles 10,990. Other placards are Steele Traps [see No. 10743], No Pretender, No Popery [torn] [cf. No. 10709], No Melville No Plunder. [see No. 10377, &c.] No Slavery [see No. 10778] Milton for Ever. From a narrow board inscribed Etridge on the corner of the wall projects a flagstaff supporting a pennant inscribed Saville in large letters."--British Museum online catalogue.
Artist identified as F. Hawkesworth in the British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching & stipple engraving on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 27.9 x 21.1 cm, on sheet 36.2 x 26.0 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1809.
Watermarks (Paper)--J. Whatman--1806.--CtY-BR
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 11241
- Orbis Record