Counsellor O.P. [graphic] : defender of our theatric-liberties! / Js. Gillray ft.
- Counsellor O.P. [graphic] : defender of our theatric-liberties! / Js. Gillray ft.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1809 December 5
- Copyright Date
- [5 December 1809]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "Counsellor Clifford, realistically drawn, stands in profile to the left, his feet together, holding behind his back a flaming fire-brand, emitting thick clouds of smoke. He wears a hat, and has a sinister expression--a sly grimace with a hint of smile. His long, drink-blotched nose, projecting forehead and underlip are conspicuous. He stands on the cobblestones outside the east front of the new theatre, which forms a background, and is on fire. The façade is still intact but vast masses of flame and smoke rise from within, lighting up the windows. In the foreground lie three bottles, all labelled 'Brandy', and a paper: 'Clifford versus Brandon--Verdict by Blunder £5'. ..."--British Museum online catalogue.
Six lines of verse below title: In the sketch above we find, the face an index of the mind, but this face and body are, by nature destin'd for the bar, if in his proper sphere he'd shine, we recommend th' Old Bailey-line!
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 35.2 x 24.9 cm, on sheet 45.3 x 29.7 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 11430, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 575, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 368
- Orbis Record