The stays [graphic] / design'd by an amateur ; Js. Gillray fect.
- The stays [graphic] / design'd by an amateur ; Js. Gillray fect.
- Alternative Title
- Progress of the toilet : and Progress of the toilet ; plate 1
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1810 February 26
- Copyright Date
- [26 February 1810]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "A young woman stands in profile to the left, at a dressing-table, while a buxom ladies' maid laces a pair of long stays. She wears a boudoir cap tied under the chin, and holds a flat ruler-shaped stick under the stays in front to regulate the operation. The stays fit closely over a pair of plain knickerbockers, cf. No. 9608. The dressing-room is luxuriously furnished. The dressing-table is draped in muslin and has a swing-mirror. On it are toilet-articles, bottles (two inscribed 'Milk of Roses' and 'Esprit de Lavande'), a rosary, a mask, a ticket inscribed 'Masquerade Argyll Street', and a lap-dog, looking at itself in the mirror. The furniture is ornamented with ormolu. A small hanging book-case with curtained glass doors hangs on the wall. A picture of a woman draped in a cloak, walking, with a landscape background, is inscribed 'Morning'. On a console table is a Chinese vase with a bouquet of roses. Jug, basin, &c, are on the ground beside a chair on which are boxes for toilet appliances. Heavy fringed curtains cover the window (left)."--British Museum online catalogue.
First of three prints in a series entitled: Progress of the toilet.
Temporary local subject terms: Corset -- Pin cushion.
Title etched below image, following series title and preceding plate number.
- 1 print : etching with stipple on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 28.2 x 22.5 cm, on sheet 35 x 27 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 11608, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 570, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 370
- Orbis Record