The wig [graphic] / design'd by an amateur ; Js. Gillray fect.
- The wig [graphic] / design'd by an amateur ; Js. Gillray fect.
- Alternative Title
- Progress of the toilet : and Progress of the toilet ; plate 2
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1810 February 26
- Copyright Date
- [26 February 1810]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "The lady sits facing her reflection in a pier-glass. She wears a plain muslin gown with long sleeves and holds an open book: 'Delphine'. Her hair is cropped; the maid holds the brown wig with tight curls which she is about to place on her mistress's head. The dressing-table has been pushed to the left; the end remaining in view is covered with bottles of 'Honey Water', 'Eau de Cologne', 'Otto de Rose', and 'Esprit de . . .', &c. On a plain table beside the maid (right) are an open box labelled 'Ross's Elastic Wigs' [cf. No. 11597], a bottle of 'Huile Antique', two small combs, and a tiny hair-brush. The doors of the book-case are open showing volumes inscribed 'Tales of Wonder' [see No. 9932], 'Fashionable . . . Me . . .', 'Faublais' [two], 'Uncle Thoma[s]', 'Rosa Matilda'. The picture on the wall is 'Noon', a lady walking with an open parasol. In the foreground are an open coffer with a garment hanging from it, the lap-dog sleeping on a stool, an open music-book, 'Opera Dances', with pan-pipes. On a chair are a cloak and large cylindrical bonnet. Another table stands against the wall, heavy and ornate, supported on pilasters like a chimney-piece. On it is a different vase of flowers from that in No. 11608."--British Museum online catalogue.
Second of three prints in a series entitled: Progress of the toilet.
Title etched below image, following series title and preceding plate number.
- 1 print : etching with stipple on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 28.2 x 22.1 cm, on sheet 35 x 26 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 11609, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 571, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 370
- Orbis Record