A calm [graphic] / etched by Js. Gillray.
- A calm [graphic] / etched by Js. Gillray.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Published / Created
- 1810 May 16
- Copyright Date
- [16 May 1810]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "A sea-side scene on a hot day. The centre figure is a tall young woman, in a muslin dress with bare arms and neck, holding an open parasol and a patterned scarf. A fat 'cit' trudges along, much distressed; he mops his bald head, holding his hat with his wig inside it. A family party, forbidding and censorious, is grouped on the left, with a panting dog. In the middle distance are the sands with pedestrians fashionably dressed, and a barefooted fisher-boy with a net. Bathing-machines are in the sea, with tiny figures in the water; another with a horse is about to enter the water."--British Museum online catalogue.
Companion print to: "A squall."
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching with aquatint and stipple on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 26.7 x 37.4 cm, on sheet 29.9 x 40.0 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 11615, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 577, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 370
- Orbis Record