"A little music", or, The delights of harmony [graphic] / Js. Gillray fect.
- "A little music", or, The delights of harmony [graphic] / Js. Gillray fect.
- Alternative Title
- Delights of harmony
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Copyright Date
- [ca. 1810]
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "A young woman plays the piano (right) with painful intentness, and sings, as does the man who holds open her music-book, inscribed 'On Rosy Bed by Tinckling Billy'. A middle-aged military officer stands full face playing the flute. A fat elderly 'cit' sleeps in an arm-chair (left); his wig has fallen off and his legs rest on another chair. Behind him a very obese man and an ugly and over-dressed woman with a grotesquely thin neck sing from the same piece of music: 'On Rosy Bed'. He warms his back at a blazing fire; the feathers in her hair are alight in one of the candles on the chimney-piece. A small boy blows a toy trumpet, a dog howls and a cat miaows, standing on an open music-book inscribed 'Water Part ....' Chinese figures on the chimney-piece and the lintel of the door represent comic musicians playing different instruments."--British Museum online catalogue, description of state with imprint.
Publication information based on that of state with imprint.
Sheet trimmed within plate mark on two edges.
Title etched below image.
Variant state, lacking publication line, of a print published with the imprint "London: Published May 20, 1810, by H. Humphrey, 27 St. James's Street." Cf. No. 11611 in the Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8.
- 1 print : etching with aquatint on wove paper ; sheet 27.0 x 36.5 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record