Les invisibles [graphic].
- Les invisibles [graphic].
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Copyright Date
- Publication Place
- H. Humprey, No. 27 St. James's Street
- "Copy of a French print. A fashionable promenade. Two men walk towards each other, each with a lady hanging to each arm, all have their faces concealed by some part of their dress, hat, or collar, or both. One man has a round hat, with a fantastically curved brim projecting downwards. The other has a huge crescent-shaped cocked hat with the peaks dipping over face and back. Both have high, stiff, pointed collars projecting above the high collars of coat and waistcoat. The ladies wear bonnets with projecting scoops or a straw hat with broad contorted brim, with high neck-ruffles. A couple walk arm-in-arm, and in the background two ladies walk away. Another lady sits alone under a tree (left). The men wear knee-breeches. The ladies wear or carry shawls with their trailing dresses; their flat slippers are en cothurne."--British Museum online catalogue.
Printmaker and date of publication from British Museum catalogue.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching & stipple engraving on wove paper, hand-colored ; plate mark 24.5 x 35.0 cm, on sheet 35 x 42 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1810.
Satires (Visual works)--France--1810.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Humphrey, Hannah, active 1774-1817, publisher.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 8, no. 11612, Wright, T. Historical and descriptive account of the caricatures by James Gillray, no. 568, and Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 369
- Orbis Record