The comet of 1811 [graphic].
- The comet of 1811 [graphic].
- Published / Created
- 1811 January
- Copyright Date
- [January 1811]
- Publication Place
- T. Moon, Westminster
- "An adaptation in reverse of No. 7508 by Sayers. The Prince's head, set in a star which is the head of the comet, is as in No. 7508 except for the addition of a stock between the wings of the coat-collar. In the comet's tail the first profile head is that of Moira, replacing Sheridan who is in the second place, between and in front of Erskine and a partly concealed profile perhaps intended for Ponsonby. Next are the Duke of Norfolk and Lord Derby. Behind them are (?) Tierney and a good-looking military officer. Next come three Grenvilles abreast: Lord Temple between Lord Grenville (on his right) and the spectacled Buckingham. Behind them are Whitbread, holding up a frothing tankard of his 'Entire', and Lansdowne. Behind these are Grey, and (partly obscured) Lord Carlisle. Two heads with faces hidden are on the extreme right."--British Museum online catalogue.
"Sometimes attributed to Gillray, who was lapsing into insanity. The heads in the comet's tail seem to be copied from heads by him in various prints."--British Museum online catalogue.
Sheet trimmed to plate mark on upper and lower edges.
Title etched below image.
- 1 print : etching with aquatint on wove paper, hand-colored ; sheet 24.9 x 30.3 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 11
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- still image
Satires (Visual works)--England--1811.
- Subject (Name)
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Buckingham and Chandos, Richard Temple Nugent Brydges Chandos,--Duke of,--1776-1839--Caricatures and cartoons.
Buckingham, George Nugent Temple Grenville,--Marquess of,--1753-1813--Caricatures and cartoons.
Carlisle, Frederick Howard,--Earl of,--1748-1825--Caricatures and cartoons.
Derby, Edward Smith Stanley,--Earl of,--1752-1834--Caricatures and cartoons.
Erskine, Thomas Erskine,--Baron,--1750-1823--Caricatures and cartoons.
George--IV,--King of Great Britain,--1762-1830--Caricatures and cartoons.
Gillray, James, 1756-1815, attributed name.
Grenville, William Wyndham Grenville,--Baron,--1759-1834--Caricatures and cartoons.
Grey, Charles Grey,--Earl,--1764-1845--Caricatures and cartoons.
Hastings, Francis Rawdon-Hastings,--Marquess of,--1754-1826--Caricatures and cartoons.
Lansdowne, Henry Petty-Fitzmaurice,--Marquess of,--1780-1863--Caricatures and cartoons.
Norfolk, Charles Howard,--Duke of,--1746-1815--Caricatures and cartoons.
Ponsonby, George,--1755-1817--Caricatures and cartoons.
Sheridan, Richard Brinsley,--1751-1816--Caricatures and cartoons.
Tierney, George,--1761-1830--Caricatures and cartoons.
Whitbread, Samuel,--1764-1815--Caricatures and cartoons.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 9, no. 11705
- Orbis Record