Het committè van voorlichting [graphic].
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Het committè van voorlichting [graphic].
- Het committè van voorlichting [graphic].
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
Auchincloss, Hugh Dudley--Ownership.
Hess, David, 1770-1843, artist.
- Copyright Date
- Publication Place
"A lamp-lighter (left) stands dejectedly on his ladder which rests against a stone obelisk supporting a lamp whose glass is broken. The light has been extinguished by a blast from the head of a cherub emerging from clouds (right). A man wearing a cocked hat standing by the lamp-post tries in vain to get a spark from a flint. A stout citizen bends over a cup held by an old woman seated on the right, he stirs it and blows upon it, evidently trying to kindle a light. A dog befouls the obelisk. '. . . Ce Committé se donne bien dela peine pour allumer la grande lanterne. Mais - le vent siffie - les verres sont cassé - comment les raccomoder ? - ' Text, 'Job', xviii. 5."--British Museum online catalogue.
Artist identified as Hess and printmaker questionably identified as Gillray in the British Museum catalogue.
One of twenty plates published as a bound set entitled: Hollandia regenerata.
Place and date of publication from British Museum catalogue.
Plate numbered "9" in upper left corner.
Possibly published by Hannah Humphrey. See British Museum catalogue.
Temporary local subject terms: Holland: civil discord -- Committees: committee of public instruction -- Lamp-lighters -- Lighting: lamps -- Dutchmen.
Title etched below image.
With: Letterpress explanation in French that includes appropriate texts from the Bible in Dutch and in English.
- 1 print : etching & aquatint on wove paper ; plate mark 27.6 x 22.1 cm, on sheet 37 x 27 cm + 1 sheet ( page)
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 12
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 8854
Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 373
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)