Het committè van bondgenootschap [graphic].
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > Het committè van bondgenootschap [graphic].
- Het committè van bondgenootschap [graphic].
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815, printmaker.
- Copyright Date
- Publication Place
"Seven men, closely grouped, fight and scuffle confusedly. On the ground (left) are the arrows of the seven United Provinces, broken and separated, a cat plays with the ribbon which binds them (the symbolical bond of union, cf. BMSat 5712). A National Guard has taken one of the arrows and drives it into the head of a man whose eye he tries to gouge out, and who grasps another antagonist by the wig. One raises a chair to smite, another empties a wine-bottle on an opponent."--British Museum online catalogue.
Artist identified as Hess and printmaker questionably identified as Gillray in the British Museum catalogue.
One of twenty plates published as a bound set entitled: Hollandia regenerata.
Place and date of publication from British Museum catalogue.
Plate numbered "17" in upper left corner.
Possibly published by Hannah Humphrey. See British Museum catalogue.
Temporary local subject terms: Holland: civil discord -- Committees: confederation committee -- Emblems: seven arrows of the United Provinces, broken -- Military national guards: Dutch national guard -- Fighting -- Furniture: ladderback chairs.
Title etched below image.
With: Letterpress explanation in French that includes appropriate texts from the Bible in Dutch and in English.
- 1 print : etching on wove paper ; plate mark 27.6 x 22.1 cm, on sheet 36 x 28 cm + 1 sheet ( page)
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- Auchincloss Gillray v. 12
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum. Division I, political and personal satires, v. 7, no. 8862
Wright, T. Works of James Gillray, the caricaturist with the history of his life and times, p. 373
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)