French almanac containing a concealed pyx
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library > French almanac containing a concealed pyx
- French almanac containing a concealed pyx
- Published / Created
- [circa 1790]
Unidentified printed French almanac from the 1780s that has been hollowed out, glued shut, and lined with red velvet to serve as a container for a silver pyx, or Holy Communion holder, possibly by a French priest in the early 1790s. The top of the pyx is engraved with a cross on uneven ground.
Binding: contemporary full red morocco, covered with elaborate gilt stamps with vase and flower motifs; interlaced design on borders and spine.
Purchased from Justin Croft on the Edwin J. Beinecke Book Fund, 2009.
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been completely digitized.
- Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- Call Number
- GEN MSS FILE 431
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- three dimensional object
- Subject (Geographic)
France--History--Revolution, 1789-1799--Religious aspects
France--Religious life and customs
- Subject (Name)
- Catholic Church--France
- Subject (Topic)
Lord's Supper--Catholic Church
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- French Almanac Containing a Concealed Pyx. General Collection. Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)