Brut chronicle, etc.
- Brut chronicle, etc.
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1450]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on parchment (thick) of 1) Notes on the baronial Clare family of Gloucester, in chart format, from a manuscript contemporary with or slightly earlier than the main text (art. 3). Name of the appropriate King of England appears on the left in a red circle [concludes with King Edward IV, 1327-77], and a short history of certain members of the Clare family are added on the right. 2) Genealogical tree, added between 1450 and 1500, establishing the claims of King Edward IV (1461-83) to the kingdoms of England, France, Castile and Leon. 3) Brut Chronicle, up to 1419, but the final leaf of text has been torn out.
Binding: 17th-18th centuries. Covered in brown calf, blind-tooled, with a brick-colored, gold-tooled label, probably a later addition.
Illuminated initial, 6-line, on f. 1r, pink on gold ground, with blue, green, and pink acanthus leaves, and white highlights; full bar-border with swirling acanthus leaves in same colors as for initial; black hair-spray in outer margins. Heading and chapter numbers in red. Small initials, 2-line, blue with red flourishes, for most chapters. Paragraph marks alternate red and blue.
In Middle English.
Parchment is well thumbed and worn, especially f. 1r; some loss of text.
Purchased from Van Sinderen in 1964 as a gift of the Yale Library Associates.
Script: Written by a single scribe in neat Anglicana formata. Running titles and marginal notes added by later hands.
322 x 224 (210 x 132) mm.
ff. ii + ii + 156 + ii :
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
English, Middle (1100-1500)
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 323
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Manuscripts, Medieval--England--15th century
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Geographic)
- Great Britain--History--1066-1687
- Subject (Name)
Edward--IV,--King of England,--1442-1483
- Subject (Topic)
Chronicles of England
English literature--Middle English, 1100-1500
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Brut Chronicle, etc. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University., MS 323., and Shailor, B. Catalogue of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library,
- Orbis Record
- More Information