Negatives: Jerome War Relocation Center
- Negatives: Jerome War Relocation Center
- Satoda, Yonekazu, 1921-
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1942-1945]
- Material related to his internment at the Jerome Relocation Center includes a diary he kept from May 1942 to February 1945, as well as photographs that document the camp and his family., Material related to his military service includes training information from Officer Candidate School at the Infantry School at Fort Benning, Georgia, as well as photographs and moving films created during his service in Japan., and This collection includes papers, photographs, and moving films that document the internment of Japanese American Yonekazu Satoda at the Jerome Relocation Center in Denison, Arkansas, 1942-1945, as well as his military service with the United States Army in Japan, 1946-1948. Additional material documents other aspects of his life, especially his education as an accountant, as well as correspondence with friends and businesses.
- Yonekazu "Yone" Satoda (born 1921) was born in Hanford, California, a son of Japanese immigrants. He graduated from the University of California in 1942, the same year he was imprisoned at the Jerome Relocation Center in Arkansas, as part of the internment of Japanese Americans during World War II. From November 1946 to August 1948, Satoda served as a first lieutenant and military intelligence officer in the United States Army in Tokyo and Hokkaido, Japan. After his active military service, Satoda served in the United States Army Reserves from 1949 to 1969; he retired as a major. In March 1961, Satoda married Taka "Daisy" Uyeda (born 1927) and they had three children. Satoda worked as an accountant and lived in San Francisco, California.
- 1 negative ; 6 x 8 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- WA MSS S-2897
- Collection Title
- Yonekazu Satoda papers, photographs, and films
- Collection/Other Creator
- Satoda, Yonekazu, 1921-
- Collection Date
- Collection Note
- Series II. Photographs and moving films.
- Container / Volume Information
- Box 5 | Folder 139
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Subject (Geographic)
Japan--History--Allied occupation, 1945-1952--Pictorial works
- Subject (Name)
Infantry School (U.S.)
Jerome Relocation Center (Ark.)
Jerome Relocation Center (Ark.)--Pictorial works
United States.--Army--Officers--Pictorial works
- Subject (Topic)
Concentration camps--Arkansas--Pictorial works
Japanese American soldiers
Japanese American soldiers--Pictorial works
Japanese Americans--Evacuation and relocation, 1942-1945
Japanese Americans--Evacuation and relocation, 1942-1945--Pictorial works
World War, 1939-1945--Concentration camps--Arkansas
World War, 1939-1945--Concentration camps--Arkansas--Pictorial works
World War, 1939-1945--Japanese Americans
World War, 1939-1945--Personal narratives, Japanese American
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Yonekazu Satoda Papers, Photographs, and Films. Yale Collection of Western Americana, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.