Notebook of a theatrical tour with the Oliver Doud Byron Combination company
- Notebook of a theatrical tour with the Oliver Doud Byron Combination company
- Clavelle, Emma L
- Published / Created
- Notebook documenting the travels of Emma L. Clavelle from New York City throughout the northeast and midwest United States with the Oliver Doud Byron Combination company during the theatrical season of 1882-1883. She likely performed in Across the Continent, a play which Byron toured and starred in for over twenty years. In addition to noting the dates and cities of the tour, Clavelle provides the name of the hotel or boarding house where she stayed in each city, the cost of the room, and its quality (fair, good, very good). Additional brief comments include how well performances were received, and her recreational activities and visits with family members. A small chromolithographic card promoting the Oliver Doud Byron Combination is affixed to the front pastedown of the notebook. Additional lists of dates (month and day but no year) and cities, a list of articles of clothing, and other notations are included in the remainder of the notebook.
- Purchased from Ian Brabner, Bookseller on the George B. Alvord Fund, 2011.
- 1 v. (56 p.) ; 8 x 13 cm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Partially digitized
- Call Number
- YCAL MSS FILE 47
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Subject (Geographic)
Middle Atlantic States--Description and travel
Middle West--Description and travel
New England--Description and travel
- Subject (Name)
Byron, Oliver Doud,--1842-1920
Clavelle, Emma L
Oliver Doud Byron Combination
- Subject (Topic)
Theatrical companies--United States
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Emma L. Clavelle, Notebook of a Theatrical Tour with the Oliver Doud Byron Combination Company. Yale Collection of American Literature, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
- Orbis Record