Hic incipiunt duodecim capitula secundum Ricardum de Hampole.
- Hic incipiunt duodecim capitula secundum Ricardum de Hampole.
- Alternative Title
- De Emendatione vitae and other works.
- Rolle, Richard, 1290?-1349
- Published / Created
- [between 1450 and 1459]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript, on parchment, containing the complete text of Richard Rolle's De emendatione vitae. This is followed by a complitation of extracts from texts mainly by Rolle, including portions of the Incendium amoris and the Melum and a passage from the Speculum peccatoris of Pseudo-Augustine. Followed by Thomas Fishlake's Latin translation of both books of Walter Hilton's The Scale of Perfection. William Jordaen's Latin translation of Willem Ruusbroec's van den blinckenden Steen appears between Books 1 and 2 of the Hilton.
Binding: contemporary white doeskin over cushioned boards, sewn on six double bands; remains of two clasps including nails. Lower edge of leaves inscribed "hylton" in a contemporary hand. Center of upper board inscribed with a capital E and W-B in a nineteenth century hand.
Decoration: two full-page borders accompanied by three-line foliate initials on a gold ground (ff.1, 40); three three-sided borders (ff.32, 35, 92v), four- and five-line initials in gold on a ground of blue and red with white ornament and leafy sprays extending into the margin (ff.20v, 90v, 92v), one three-line foliate initial on a gold ground with extensions forming a two-sided border (f.81), two-line and three-line initials alternately in gold with blue penwork, or blue with red penwork, usually forming reserved leafy designs within the body of the initial and extending up and down the left margin, one- to six-line paraphs in the text and margins alternately gold with blue penwork or blue with red penwork,
Layout: single columns of 34 lines.
Previously owned by members of the Heneage family, circa 1530-2013; ex libris Godfrey Clement Walker Heneage of Compton Bassett, Walker-Button Archive. Purchased from Richard A. Linenthal (Christie's London sale, 12 June 2013, lot 31) on the James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Fund, 2013.
With: multiple entries on front and back flyleaves in Latin and English containing notes on the family history of various members of the Heneage family, 1528-1820 and undated. Also 6 pages of similar notes, laid in.
With: two horoscopes on back flyleaves for Michael Heneage, 1532 March 28.
- 157 l.: parchment ; 171 x 120 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Osborn fa54
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Manuscripts, Medieval--England--15th century
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
Hilton, Walter, -1396. Scale of perfection
Ruusbroec, Jan van, 1293-1381
- Subject (Topic)
Devotional literature, English (Middle)--Translations into Latin
Devotional literature, Latin (Medieval and modern)--Early works to 1800
Devotional literature, Latin (Medieval and modern)--Translations from English (Middle)
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Mysticism--Catholic Church--Early works to 1800
Spiritual life--Catholic Church--Early works to 1800
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Richard Rolle, De Emendatione vitae and other works. James Marshall and Marie-Louise Osborn Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- More Information