Notebook of grammar and logic.
- Notebook of grammar and logic.
- Published / Created
- [between 1300 and 1350]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript on parchment and paper, composed in 3 parts, of Notes on grammar, syntax, logic, mathematics, and canon law. With excerpts of moral treatises and proverbs. Parts I and II, ca. 1300 on parchment. Part III, between 1300 and 1350 on paper.
Binding: Early limp vellum, with a bone button in the middle of the rear cover.
Part II: Red paragraph marks; red plain 2-line initials. Part III: Red paragraph marks in some sections. Red plain 2-line initials (3-line initial f. 44r), some with flourishing, and guide-letters in artt. 5-8. Logical diagrams on ff. 44v and 47r. Hand A has curious line-fillers and his explicits are written in a dotted rectangular frame.
Purchased from Alan G. Thomas, 26 Nov. 1971, on the Edwin J. Beinecke Fund.
Script: Part I (ff. 1r-8r): Written in Gothica Cursiva Antiquior (Anglicana) mainly by two hands. Part II (ff. 9r-43v): Two hands, both writing Anglicana. Part III (ff. 44r-78v): Several hands, all writing Anglicana Currens and highly abbreviated: the first (ff. 44r-55v) is marked by lengthened and bold or decorated ascenders on the top line.
- ff. i + 78 + vi : parchment and paper ; 140 x 100 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- Beinecke MS 507
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Manuscripts, Medieval--England--14th century
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Topic)
Grammar, Comparative and general
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Notebook of Grammar and Logic. General Collection, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- More Information