- Speculum Christiani.
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1400-1425]
- Publication Place
- Manuscript, on vellum, in a single hand, of a version of this fourteenth-century pastoral manual. The text is in eight sections, or Tabulae, in Latin, with extensive passages in Middle English prose and interpolated Middle English verse.
Binding: nineteenth-century morocco.
Decoration: red and blue initials with contrasting penwork.
Ex libris Alfred Henry Huth; Sir Leicester Harmsworth; William and Christina Foyle. From the collection of Toshiyuki Takamiya.
Layout: single columns of 32 lines.
Script: written in an English bookhand.
- 45 l. : parchment ; 340 x 210 mm.
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
English, Middle (1100-1500)
- Call Number
- Takamiya MS 96
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Manuscripts, Medieval--England--15th century.
- Resource Type
- Archives or Manuscripts
- Subject (Name)
Catholic Church--Clergy--Early works to 1800.
Catholic Church--Handbooks, manuals, etc.
Foyle, William Alfred,--1885---Bookplate.
Harmsworth, R. Leicester--(Robert Leicester),--Sir,--1870-1937--Ownership.
Huth, Alfred Henry,--1850-1910--Bookplate.
- Subject (Topic)
Christian life--Early works to 1800.
English poetry--Middle English, 1100-1500.
English prose literature--Middle English, 1100-1500.
Manuscripts, Medieval--Connecticut--New Haven.
Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in Beinecke Library.
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- A handlist of western Medieval manuscripts in the Takamiya collection / Toshiyuki Takamiya, in The Medieval book: glosses from friends & colleagues of Christopher de Hamel, ed. by Richard Linenthal, James Marrow and William Noel. 't Goy-Houten: Hes & De Graff, 2010, pp. 421-437. and Speculum Christiani. Takamiya MS 96.
- Orbis Record