[Three sketches of Horace Walpole in 1788] [art original].
Lewis Walpole Library > [Three sketches of Horace Walpole in 1788] [art original].
- [Three sketches of Horace Walpole in 1788] [art original].
- Alternative Title
- Horace at three times a day
- Carter, John, 1748-1817, artist
- Published / Created
- Publication Place
Watercolor drawing showing Horace Walpole without a wig, on the left, facing the viewer, with a letter in hand; the caption under this image reads "after breakfast & in his study." In the center, Walpole with his wig and still with a letter in hand, his other arm bent and raised; the caption under this image reads "Before dinner, when drest, in the cabinet." The third image of Walpole, on the right, shows only his back, shoulders hunched and bent forward; the caption under this image reads "After dinner, & in the gallery."
Title devised by cataloger.
Date assigned by previous owner.
John Carter (1748-1817), British draughtsman and antiquary.
- 1 drawing : image 22 x 28 cm
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- Folio 33 30 Copy 22 (Oversize)
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Caricatures and cartoons
Watercolors British 18th century
Ink drawings British 18th century
Watermarks (Paper) T Edmonds
- watercolor on laid paper ; and 8 11/16 x 11 1/8 in. watercolor with pen and ink.
- Subject (Name)
- Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797
Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 > Caricatures and cartoons
British > 18th century
Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 > Ownership
Bindley, James > Ownership
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- John Carter, Three Sketches of Horace Walpole in 1788. The Lewis Walpole Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)