Jack in his element [graphic].
Lewis Walpole Library > Jack in his element [graphic].
- Jack in his element [graphic].
- Sayer, Robert, 1725-1794, publisher.
- Published / Created
- [17 June 1793]
- Publication Place
- Publish'd 17th June 1793 by Robt. Sayer & Co., Fleet Street, London
Poll, the widow of William, stands at her cottage door in a village near the sea, a ship in full-sail in the distance, as Jack delivers the sad news of the death of her husband. In the verses engraved below recount the "jovial" life of a sailor to the refrain of "In every mess I finds a friend, in every port a wife."
Title engraved below image.
Numbered '301' in lower left below image.
Sheet trimmed to plate mark.
Five columns of verse below title: Bold Jack the sailor, here I come, pray how d'ye like my nib ...
1 print : mezzotint ; sheet 35 x 26 cm.
Some loss of image along top edge.
- 1 print : plate mark 35.3 x 25.3 cm, on sheet 37.0 x 29.0 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- This object has been no.
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- 793.06.17.01+ Impression 2
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)