[Prince William Frederick] [art original].
Lewis Walpole Library > [Prince William Frederick] [art original].
- [Prince William Frederick] [art original].
- Alternative Title
- Young officer in blue coat
- Published / Created
- [ca. 1800]
- Publication Place
William Frederick Hanover (1776-1834) was the son of Maria, Duchess of Gloucester (1736-1807), and her second husband William Hanover, Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh (1743-1805). He was a great-grandson of King George II and nephew of King George III.
The miniature is in a double-sided burnished bezel locket constructed with front and rear compartments separated by an interior divider; one side holds the portrait and the other holds a thick plait of woven hair. The locket is stored in a protective case that is contemporary with, but not original to, the miniature; when closed the outer case does not accomodate the top ring on the locket.
Identification of the sitter is based on correspondence between Doris Haydock and W. S. Lewis when the miniature was being acquired. Date of the miniature was
For further provenance information, see the custodial history note in the Guide to the Sir Edward Walpole and Dorothy Clement Family Papers (LWL MSS 37).
- 1 painting : visible oval image 6 x 5 cm
No linguistic content
- Lewis Walpole Library
- Call Number
- LWL Min. 125 Shelved in Object Room in Box 2b
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
Paintings British 19th century
Watercolors British 19th century
- watercolor on ivory ;
- Resource Type
- still image
- Subject (Name)
- William Frederick, Duke of Gloucester, 1776-1834,
William Frederick, Duke of Gloucester, 1776-1834
British > 19th century
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement.
- Prince William Frederick. The Lewis Walpole Library, Yale University.
- Orbis Record
- Object ID (OID)