Chart of the entrance of Hudson's River, from Sandy Hook to New York [cartographic material] : with the banks, depths of water, sailing-marks, & ca.
- Chart of the entrance of Hudson's River, from Sandy Hook to New York [cartographic material] : with the banks, depths of water, sailing-marks, & ca.
- Alternative Title
- North-American pilot for New England, New York, Pensilvania, Maryland, and Virginia.
- Published / Created
- 1st June 1776.
- Publication Place
- London :
- Printed for Robt. Sayer & John Bennett, sea chart & map-sellers, No. 53, in Fleet Street. Published as the Act directs,
A Scale of 5 "English Miles" is given below the title at upper left.
Below the scale: The Light-House of Sandy Hook is 40d. 27m. North Latitude.
Coordinates not present on map and are approximated.
Depths shown by soundings. Relief shown by hachures.
Issued separately and in the first edition of Sayer & Bennett's North American Pilot for New England, New York, Pensilvania, Maryland, and Virginia. 1777.
Sailing chart of the area around New York Harbor and Long Island; centered on Staten Island, York's Bay and Constable Point, extending north to Hells Gate, New York Island, Netwon Inlet, Bushwick Inlet, Wallabout Bay, Crown Point, the Battery and Ship Yards and south to the Shrewsbury River. The map extends East to include Amboy and the Raritan River, noting (Samuel?) Holland's House and east to Jamaica Bay and Plumb Island.
- 1 map : copperplate engraving, hand-colored ; 69 x 52 cm on sheet 73 x 54 cm
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Scale approximately 1:70,000
- (W 74⁰20ʹ59ʺ--W 73⁰48ʹ16ʺ/N 40⁰50ʹ23ʺ--N 40⁰16ʹ43ʺ)., 040.278611, 040.839722, -073.804444, -074.349722, 70000, and a
- Call Number
- 771cea N49 1776
- Container / Volume Information
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- Resource Type
- Maps, Atlases & Globes
- Subject (Geographic)
Atlantic Ocean--Lower Bay
Atlantic Ocean--Upper Bay
New Jersey--Sandy Hook
New York Harbor (N.Y. and N.J.) Maps--Early works to 1800.
New York Region--Maps--Early works to 1800.
Sandy Hook (N.J.)
- Subject (Name)
- Robert Sayer and John Bennett (Firm), printmaker, printseller
- Subject (Topic)
Nautical charts--Hudson River Estuary (N.Y. and N.J.)--Early works to 1800.
Nautical charts--Lower Bay (N.Y. and N.J.)--Early works to 1800.
Nautical charts--Upper Bay (N.Y. and N.J.)--Early works to 180
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement
- Phillips, P.L. List of Geographical Atlases in the Library of Congress, entry 1209
- Orbis Record