Painted portrait of Ezra Pound on a ceramic tile.
- Painted portrait of Ezra Pound on a ceramic tile.
- Martinelli, Sheri
- Published / Created
- Portrait painting depicting a profile of Ezra Pound in blue paint and pencil on an unglazed ceramic tile manufactured by the Robertson Art Tile Company, created by Sheri Martinelli at Saint Elizabeths Hospital, Washington, D.C., 1957. The tile was originally a gift from Martinelli to Herman Alexander Sieber upon the release of Pound from the hospital in 1958. Sieber, a research assistant in the Senior Specialists Division of the Library of Congress, had written a report about Pound for the Legislative Reference Service of the Library of Congress that played a role Pound's release from the psychiatric hospital. A letter signed by Sieber to Clifford Daniel Graubart, written in Atlanta in 1987, accompanies the tile and provides its context.
Purchased from James S. Jaffee on the Ezra Pound Archive Fund, 2005.
Title devised by cataloger.
- 1 painting : pencil and oil on ceramic ; 15.5 x 15.5 cm. (in 1 box and 1 portfolio)
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- YCAL MSS FILE 22
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- three dimensional object
ceramic tile (AAT)
- Subject (Name)
Graubart, Clifford Daniel
Robertson Art Tile Co. (Trenton, NJ)
Saint Elizabeths Hospital (Washington, D.C.)
Sieber, H. A., 1931-
Sieber, H. A.,--1931-
- Subject (Topic)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement
- Sheri Martinelli, Painted Portrait of Ezra Pound on a Ceramic Tile. Yale Collection of American Literature, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
- Orbis Record