William Cushing journal of a voyage to the Columbia River and related papers, 1843-.
- William Cushing journal of a voyage to the Columbia River and related papers, 1843-.
- Cushing, William, 1823-1875
- Published / Created
- Fair copy of Cushing's journal kept during his voyage aboard the brig Chenamus and subsequent travels in Oregon. Cushing describes Honolulu, and in detail his sixteen months in Oregon: trading at Fort George (Astoria), Fort Clatsop, the settlement of Portland, visiting Dr. John McLoughlin of the Hudson's Bay Company, traveling up and down the Columbia River. At the end of his journal, Cushing summarizes his impressions of Oregon. The journal is accompanied by a photocopy of a later typed transcript. Also present are two watercolors of the Chenamus drawn by Cushing, a circa 1870 albumen photograph of the Cushing mansion in Newburyport with William and his family standing around it, a painted wooden box bearing Cushing's initials, and a seamen's certificate for a voyage to the Columbia River on the Brig Smith Tuttle; that ship was captained by Avery Sylvester, a friend of Cushing, and captain of the Chenamus on the return trip to Hawaii and New England from the Columbia River.
- Blank journal pages not digitized.
- 0.21 linear feet (1 box) + 2 broadsides + 1 art
- Extent of Digitization
- Completely digitized
- Call Number
- WA MSS S-1734
Subjects, Formats, And Genres
- mixed material
Albumen prints--United States--19th century
Diaries--United States--19th century
Photographic prints--United States--19th century
Ships' papers--United States--19th century
Storage boxes--United States--19th century
Watercolors--United States--19th century
- Subject (Geographic)
Columbia River Valley
Fort Clatsop (Or.)
Honolulu (Hawaii)--Description and travel
Newburyport (Mass.)--Pictorial works
Northwest, Pacific--Description and travel
Portland (Or.)--Description and travel
- Subject (Name)
Chenamus (Brig)--Pictorial works
Couch, John H
Smith Tuttle (Brig)
Access And Usage Rights
- The use of this image may be subject to the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) or to site license or other rights management terms and conditions. The person using the image is liable for any infringement
- William Cushing Journal of a Voyage to the Columbia River and Related Papers. Yale Collection of Western Americana, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library.
- Orbis Record